Thursday, March 12, 2009

so last night i was waiting for a friend in union square and this asian guy, around my age, approaches me with a tentative, odd look in his eye:

"have you ever thought about straightening your hair?" he asks.

"nope."

"why not? i think black women look really good with straight hair."

"ok. i like my hair the way it is."

"but why? straight hair looks really good on black women."

"this is how my hair is. it's kinky. i love it. yes, some black women look beautiful with straight hair, but it's a matter of personal preference. i often think that straightening caters to a caucasian ideal of beauty."

"are you like, an activist or something?"

"no."

"well you seem self conscious about your hair."

"i'm not self conscious. people comment on my hair like, twenty times a day. i'm proud of my hair."

"so you are not going to straighten it?"

"no."

at this point he seems to be really torn... i think he had been considering asking me for my number, but only if there was a good chance i would straighten my hair in the near future.

"really, you aren't going to straighten it?"

"no."

"really??"

"no."

"ok. goodnight."

i nod at him but he's unsatisfied with this response, and says 'goodnight' over and over, until i finally wish him a good night.

and that was that.

2 comments:

miMo said...

man... i went thru a range of emotions while reading this from extremem annoyance to humor, but most of all im proud. of U!

u need a tee-shirt that says "for afro lovers"

i will design one.

Jamie Moffitt said...

I'm intrigued with this guy's comments.