Sunday, June 28, 2009

ireland!


(6.25) Yesterday we flew out of a sunset and into a sunrise… after a rather uncomfortable red-eye Aer Lingus flight, I finally caught my first glimpses of Ireland around 6am. (Well actually I have flown over the country before, but this time was exceptionally exciting because we were actually landing.) I was practically jumping out of my seat with excitement at the first sight of seacoast… and the country has yet to disappoint. In fact, I love it. I really, really love it. We were picked up at the airport by Roddy’s dad and driven through the countryside about 45 minutes to a little seaside town called Lahinch. Each passing minute we were in the car was more beautiful then the last; the country side is positively breath-taking… the roads are seemingly narrow, with no shoulder… the grass and wild just grows right up against them… And they wind so that you cannot see what’s around the next corner… and every time a car came round on our right, I was momentarily startled, as it always takes me a bit to get used to traffic moving opposite.

So yes, anyway, it’s beautiful. For now, we are staying in the sweetest little house and I can see the sea from where I sit now… also it’s about 10:30pm and there is still daylight!

The best part about today… we went to the Cliffs of Moher… quite possibly the most beautiful natural thing I have ever seen. My photographs don’t even begin to do them justice… they stretch on and on and down and down… they are powerful, graceful and beautiful but quite dizzyingly ominous at the same time.

A few additional notes… there are lots of little flies around, but no mosquitoes… lots of white people and not a single black person… and the next door neighbor has a pony in the back yard to keep the grass down. (It’s a very pretty pony.)

Anyway. I love it here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

a living lawn mower! hooray for ponies! ireland looks simply beautiful, i want to go visit right now after looking at your pictures! it sounds like you are having a wonderful time! xo