Sunday, September 7, 2008

fitness games women's 4 miler...


those of you who know me know of my never-ending quest to be in the top seeded corral for new york road runners races... (for those of you who don't know, there are about 10 corrals... 0 being the fastest mile group and 10 being the slowest. you are placed in a corral according to previous race results.)

today my quest ended.

my bib number was 99. ninety-freakin'-nine. that put me in the very top seeded corral. never in my life have I started a race with my toe on the start line... today, I did.

and I didn't like it.

the other front runners were eying me up and down, insinuating with their eyes that, according to my body type, I shouldn't be there. I was surrounded by sinewy-women-runner bodies... the biggest woman probably topped out at 110 pounds... my body type is a little more... umm... like a soccer player. or something. anyway, it was like, one of these things is not like the other, and I was a little uncomfortable. perhaps I was a tad paranoid, but it seemed even the spectators were suspicious about my race bib reading 99.

today was also my first race with no one waiting at the finish line... and, despite my excellent corral placement, my weakest performance. I didn't realise how much of a difference it makes to have people to impress at the finish. heh.

so yeah, today I ran the race at a sluggish 7:37mm pace, placing 180 out of 1883.

I almost look forward to returning to my less judgmental corral number 1.

Oh, one more running note. a positive one. out of the estimated 11,000 runners in the nyc nike human race 10k, I finished 395. not bad.

No comments: